Objectified is a feature-length documentary about our complex relationship with manufactured objects and, by extension, the people who design them. It’s a look at the creativity at work behind everything from toothbrushes to tech gadgets. It’s about the designers who re-examine, re-evaluate and re-invent our manufactured environment on a daily basis. It’s about personal expression, identity, consumerism, and sustainability.
Through vérité footage and in-depth conversations, the film documents the creative processes of some of the world’s most influential product designers, and looks at how the things they make impact our lives. What can we learn about who we are, and who we want to be, from the objects with which we surround ourselves?
You can watch it here or on this website:
The movie showcased a lot of designers here are a few of them:
1. Alice Rawsthorn http://www.alicerawsthorn.com/
2. Andrew Blauvelt http://designmuseum.org/design/andrew-blauvelt
3. Dan Formosa http://www.danformosa.com/
4. Davin Stowell http://www.idsa.org/category/seo-tags/davin-stowell
6. Dieter Rams http://www.vitsoe.com/en/gb/about/dieterrams/gooddesign
7. Jonathon Ive http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_39/b4002414.htm
Quotes from the movie:
1. "Every object, intended or not, speaks to who put it there."
2. "Every object tells a story... if you know how to read it." Henry Ford
3. "Let's put great design into every day things."
4. "Good design should make a product useful. Good design is as little design as possible."
5. "Design is a search for form."
6. "If you look at art, you're touched by something, it can change your life... because in that moment it moves you, you have emotion."
I love that last quote. I really enjoyed this movie. It is a longer one at a little over an hour, but very worth it. I enjoyed seeing the various product designers and how they go about making an item like a potato peeler or hedge clippers.
(Wow! 9,000 views as of this morning!!!)